The Pin-Parvati Pass (16,782 ft above sea level) Trek, a 100-km long trail through lush green forests to wide cold rugged mountains, gives enough challenges to make one question their strength. The Parvati River accompanied us, turning into Pin River beyond the Mountain Pass. The trek doesn’t have any villages but makeshift homes of Shepards.
How did I do it alone?
I hired a guide-cum-porter from Manali, got all the supplies from Manali, and started my trek from Barsheni. The itinerary was as followed;
- Day 1 – Barsheni – Niyara Thach (5-hour trek. It’s a steep climb till Kheerganga, then mostly a flat walk)
- Day 2 – Niyara Thach – Thakur Kuan (6-hour trek; mostly an ascend)
- Day 3 – Thakur Kuan – Odi Thach (5-6 hour trek. Moderately difficult. Challenge is that one has to cross huge boulders)
- Day 4 – Odi Thach – Mantalai Lake (4 hours of trek. A difficult day, ascend all the way up to Mantalai Lake)
- Day 5 – Mantalai Lake – Base Camp (4 hours of trek, about 1500ft ascend)
- Day 6 – Base Camp – Tiya via Pin Parvati Pass (Start early to cross the pass; about 5 hours of trek to Tiya)
- Day 7 – Tiya – Mudh (35km of almost a straight walk)
Best Time For Pin Parvati Pass
September is said to be the best time to do this trek. In this month, one can witness breathtaking views while being comparatively less bothered with rains.
I did it in August when the monsoon was at its peak. My life was at risk due to a landslide; it is sheer luck that I could get out of that scenario alive.
Everyone, I recommend that if you’re planning or considering to trek to Pin-Parvati Pass, then be prepared. One needs to be acclimatized, well versed with nuances of trekking and should be physically and mentally fit.
This isn’t a common trek. One has to go through numerous challenges and endure each one of them to be able to complete this trek.
Take a visual experience of my Trek to Pin- Parvati Pass :
Want to know more about me; Follow me on Instagram
One comment on “High on the Himalayas: Trek to Pin Parvati Pass”
May Mahadev Bless You…..Be Blessed.